Posted by: BlogMaster | April 24, 2011

The Non-Legal Side of Elder Law – Part 3: Handling the Paperwork

As you know from my prior blogs, it helps if your family is organized and you know where their financial and legal papers are – long before a crisis requires you to know this information. 

Click to read my Winter 2010 newsletter, ‘When Elder Law Comes Home’, and click to read my Law Blog of June 2010, ‘Getting Organized’.

But even the most organized senior, including my mom, may need help and reassurance when paying bills and completing insurance forms, gathering information for the next tax return, and understanding complex medical forms. My father repeatedly asked me, “What do seniors do who don’t have an elder law daughter to help?” Good question, dad.

Yes, elder law attorneys and geriatric care managers can be retained and paid to provide this helpful function. 

But your family may benefit from hiring a Professional Daily Money Manager (PDMM) to handle financial matters or to assist you, as the adult child or agent under a power of attorney. I encourage you to get a PDMM recommendation from your elder law attorney, if your family has the funds to afford this service.

Or, you may locate a PDMM through the American Association of Daily Money Managers at Make sure the professional you select is bonded and / or carries liability insurance that will protect you and your family in the event of their improper conduct. 

The non-legal side of elder law builds on a solid base of legal work including properly prepared advance directives – the health care proxy and power of attorney – and private insurance and/or Medicaid to pay for care at home. 

In today’s world of “I can do this for you cheaper”, a cottage industry of non-legal individuals has grown in the area of elder law and government benefit programs like Medicaid. Remember that sound legal advice and counsel is the starting point for families – even more so when your family doesn’t have an elder law attorney daughter (like me) in the family.

Help is only one question away. If you need that advice and counsel, contact my office to arrange a legal consultation.

*** Attorney Advertising ***



%d bloggers like this: